Thursday, April 15, 2010

DARK TO BRIGHT: A Philosophical Diatribe About What I Know and What I Need to Share


'To change the world from dark to bright,

First I should learn to read and write'

  • Susan Morgenstern

The book, 'I Will Make Miracles' by Susan Morgenstern, was parting gift from Duggan School when I left that school last year. The tradition at Duggan is to gift a departing teacher with a book placed in the school library that would be a meaningful remembrance of that teacher's presence in the school. It is a wonderful, thoughtful parting gift. I was so touched to be introduced to this amazing book that follows a small boy, through poetry, and with incredibly vibrant watercolour illustrations, as he plans how he will make the world right, safe from hunger, earthquakes, sadness, and weakness. The protagonist brings it all back to those first steps we have to take to tackle problems… basic literacy. I chewed upon many ideas to title my blog, and eventually could not let this go; it is a reflection of who I am as an activist and an innovator.



Please Excuse; A Course Should not Be a Rant!


EDES 544 has been a movement from darkness to an increasing brightness. It is a journey that will continue far beyond tomorrow's 8 am deadline for this final course blog. Like most people who spend their life in darkness (City of Embers) I could not imagine how much I was missing. I believed in my technical savvyness and had absolutely no idea how much would change. I began in darkness, where I believed I saw clearly, and have ended this course knowing that I have a path that will continue to challenge me as long as I want to grow. My eyes are getting used to the light but have so much more to see.

The tools provided to move forward have been thoughtfully and supportively provided by our guide, Joanne deGroot. Every step of the way she led us through Trailfires to understand one more piece of the Web 2.0 puzzle, and like any worthy guide, she let us find our way, our speed and gently led us forward. In the path, there were so many turns we all took, moving forward on our quests in unique directions and sometimes off the beaten track. There were so many choices and never enough time to explore all the opportunities. The sampling of Web 2.0 tools that forged our path gave us a unique and broad background, but there are seemingly infinite others out there. Brad (EDES Classmate) talked about MindMeister once on his blog; but it was a deflection for me at the time. Since then, I've found a wonderful and similar tool, Mindomo, and a shared work that graphically shows 30 different Web 2.0 functions and webs out to links to many applications that fill that function. This page is like a small but brilliant memory machine for me. As I share, in teaching units, the multitude of functions that are available on Web 2.0, I may forget the use of one over another, and there are many links on this amazing thinking map (a Web 2.0 Tool) that I have not heard of. I want to plot my yearly plan on this next year, I want students to plot their goals, I want to explore more new tools and gain a brighter vision of education. I want, I want, I want…. (I want to write like Brandi...) (EDES Classmate)

Although the tools that I have learned have been engaging, enlightening, informative, profound in the classroom, delightful to learn and totally refreshing, the greatest learning has been the development of a PLN (a Personal Learning Network). I began teaching in 1976, and have had countless hours of professional development, some of my own choice, much because of district or school design. All of it has been valuable, but none of it has been specifically tailored to my own learning needs. Between Google Reader, RSS Feeds, Blogs and Twitter, I am constantly being fed information on exactly what I am interested in. Having fairly carefully selected who I follow and who I subscribe to, I find that about 80% of the blogs and tweets that I receive (passively through feeds and tweets) are engaging and of interest to me. This filtered and meaningful list began with our guide's suggestions and grew from there. This is such a tremendous learning tool that when I looked up two upcoming conferences, I wondered if they were as valuable time and cost wise as spending time with my online PLN. Of course, nothing ever compares to the opportunity provided by sharing with like minded people, but this course has provided that from a context of my home, in my own time, with my own problems that abounded, and enabled me to participate when other opportunities would have been impossible.

Many of our alternative schools focus on these principles. Students often are in other places when we decide it is time to teach a concept, even if we think they are in class... (Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key.) Our entire philosophy of education in Alberta is about standardization, from curriculum to testing to classroom desks and schedules. Our libraries, our labs, our traditions are not about PLN's for teachers or students; they are about a defined set of expectations. Even in a staff meeting when talking about meeting the needs of all teachers, the consensus was a math consultant (when there is at least 40% of staff who do not teach math). Teachers are stressed, encumbered with a plethora of expectations; how do we get them to take the time to investigate these new tools that will in fact make their own PLN engaging and meaningful? One giant step forward toward the light: how do we get our processes, our vision, and our system, to see that students, too, need to develop and build a PLN. Moving our system, not just our teachers, is a primary goal that I see as an implication of this course.



The General Outcomes of the Alberta curriculums could lead to a bright and dynamic future for Alberta students. Several things stand in the way. A laptop for every child should be a minimal expectation from a very early grade. Although many dynamic activities can happen with limited support (scheduled computer labs, smart boards in classrooms) students ultimately need the hardware on demand and the teachers who can support it. This was a vision in the late '80s, although at that point it was a desktop. Now over 20 years later, we have not moved to that in most places in the world. We are all worried about provincial achievement tests, ability to answer multiple choice questions, our results, our standing, and our placement in the grand scheme that affects enrollment that brings in dollars. David Hancock, Minister of Education, can say time and time again that the Fraser report neither relevant nor meaningful, enrollment is decided in many cases by PAT results. Grade six students must sit and write, on paper, both a narrative story and a functional story (Newspaper article) in a set period of time ranging from 120 + 30 minutes to longer for ELL and coded students without a break. As I write this blog, I stand up and walk around, I chat with my family about my ideas, and I get a drink. Normal recess is eliminated for our 11 year old students. Authentic, real writing is a myth in such an exam setting. Imagine how difficult it is for students at this age to achieve what I am not yet able to achieve?



As a result of this course, every student in my class writes more effectively on a computer. They utilize spell checks and revise in an ongoing manner. Because we now use WIKIs and blogs and voice threads in our class learning, they have learned to improve their writing though dialogue and collaboration, all tools needed for 21st Century learners; all tools needed for the workplace. There is nothing authentic about time monitored, technology limited, collaboration deprived writing. There is nothing authentic about teaching to this kind of writing. My student Wikis have shown me that my best students continue to be best, but my struggling students are so engaged, building, learning, fixing grammar and structure and context, researching sources and critiquing positively others work. Two wishes and a Star is powerless compared to the student who says,


Hey guys nice job but If I were you I wouldn't copy what other people said because you said the population is largest enough to sustain it...I know where that came from check it ou and make sure you put the ardress! :) nice Job http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080609215815AA79wKa make sure you don't copy becasue your taking credit not the owerner of the typer :) GREAT JOB!~

-Angela



Angela struggles with spelling, with math, but she is investigating and searching and giving authentic and positive supportive feedback. Will this kind of writing pass a PAT? Does that matter? Authentic, engaged, and critical learning in the milieu that is being explored is what matters.



Emily, my most amazing, gifted and totally engaged daughter is in grade 11. Like so many 17 year old girls, she worries about marks and results, as she has grown up in a system that concentrates on this. She has written on a computer and researched on a computer since she was 8. When it comes to tests, to stories, to essays, to her first Diploma exams, she must use paper and pen. When she writes for class, she is able to use a computer (from home). We are disenabling students because we do not have the tools for our student to use. When Emily asked for the use of a computer for testing, it was disallowed; however, she can continue to be effective as a learner with her netbook outside of a testing situation.



Evidence shows that students in elementary grades have more access to computers than in junior high high or high school. My staff continues to suggest that a tool is too difficult to use , (blogs, wikis, broadcasted podcasts) and that it can wait until junior or senior high. I want to stand up and scream out loud! We are letting these students flounder on their own. What has happened to our education system? Unfortunately I know. We do not have the resources accessible to our students or teachers so as a result we continue to deliver in the ways that have previously succeeded to meet PATs and Diploma results.



Access to technology is almost always limited and untimely. One lab for 250 students does not provide sufficient access for students to act and react as needed in writing. I am seriously considering the costs of a hot spot in my classroom with 12 netbooks to open up the doors for my students next year. After learning all these tool and recognizing that I have 60 minutes once week to be fair to other teachers, I am frustrated with my inability to engage students with these tools. Fortunately, 100% of my class has access at home. Why can we not keep up with common technology?



How do we move our system, not just our teachers?



John Dewey was ahead of his time. Each of his quotes fits progressive, authentic learning. Teachers today tend to update lesson plans to incorporate 21st Century learning by automating traditional practices. Use a word processer to write your thoughts, do online research as well as visit the library, or create a power point. These changes do not dig deeply into content and have little impact on student performance (Brooks-Young, 2010). New technologies and tools that we have investigated in our TLDL 544 class can transform classroom practice and the school day thereby creating positive impact on student learning.



When I critically evaluate my level of integration of technology into my teaching, using the Loti model, I feel, just like this course, that I have a long path to the light. In terms of a digital age framework, I have moved forward by need to move far beyond.



WHERE WAS I AND WHERE DO I GO?



I got my first AM radio transmitter at my high school grad. Now you can guess the reality of my age! School usage was unimaginable. Now, almost all students own an MP3 player. My school library bought one this year. Is there a digital divide between school and home? You bet there is! In 2006, 54% of teens owned at least one MP3 Player and used it over 16 hours per week. Users have learned to control what they play. Although available since 1998, they have been slow to arrive as school tools. By 2007, educator banned MP3 players as devices because they were used to cheat (recording of audio libraries with test information). By 2009, these bans were reexamined. We have begun to see the use for mobile technology in classrooms. The educational world has begun to view the need to see these devices as tools to improve skills, and to deliver instructional programs. Teacher created podcasts are beginning to be recognized as an educational tool.



I am to a great extent an audio digital neophyte. Prior to EDES 544 I never considered the educational value of a podcast or MP3 player, but now they are teaching tools I am committed to. I am now devoted to the aggregation of MP3 files through iTunes and have a new philosophy about talking about my learning. Not for me, but for my kids. A recent cooperative teaching project on Canadian and Albertan historical stories made use of Windows Movie Maker. Students were, without exception, engaged with the creation of the picture file. When recording their narrative, it was incredible the learning curve students had when using their own voice. This was new, it was scary and it was exciting. The majority of the class had not recognized the power of their spoken word. Class members excelled and others floundered, as the ability to be heard was new and scary and delicious. This was an authentic learning experience, both for the challenged and mainstream, for the ELL and the gifted. Never had these students had these students had as rich an opportunity to reflect on their own articulation. Their having to re-record because they recognized their volume problems, their having to re-record because they hadn't synthesized their own ideas, their having to plan ahead to comment and reflect; these were all very powerful skills. The technical learning of the software was peripheral to the self reflection that happened in the process.



Social Networking continues to be a limited platform for students worldwide. There are strict district acceptable use policies in place. Hargadon, (2009) in Teaching With Tools Students Really Use, suggests that there needs to be compelling reason to use, there needs to be specific focus and that it must be moderated. He suggests that the target audience is grade 7 and upward, but I believe that there is a need to teach appropriate skills prior to this.. Social networking has significant value as a place to share collaborative ideas. Social networks will not go away so teaching appropriate use will be important in the building of 21Century interpersonal relationships.



Technology is a bridge



According to NCREL, technology serves as a bridge to more engaging, relevant, meaningful and personalized learning, all of which can lead to higher academic achievement.





As Nicola says (classmate) , social bookmarking can bridge the gap between school library and their patrons. Ease of access and removing the walls of the library can create a bridge the moves the library into every home. Nicola's discussion of Diigo led me to finally separate from Delicious and move onto Diigo and see how a technology can ultimately link ideas and retain ideas that enhance my personal learning network.



Web 2.0 is a bridge to the curriculum, to student engagement, to authentic writing and investigations..It is a bridge to our past, a tool that becomes an historical reference, of our thoughts, our pictures, our idea and our activities. Thanks, Pauline (EDES classmate) for that perspective!



Technology is an enabler



Technology is part of the solution to problems in education but not the solution. A few simple changes in the classroom involving technology will bring big results in learning. Technology can give voice to otherwise classroom–quiet students. Through the use of twitter responses to what is being taught, to blog or wiki comments, there is less fear for students to reflect and make meaningful comments immediately in these written formats. Students who fear to talk in class are more willing to post a response.





Putting all of that aside, technology is a crucial "part" of the solution. But again it is not "the" solution. Being that it is part of the solution it has to be embraced by all in education. We as teachers, administrators, school board members and parents cannot simply cast technology aside as "another fad" in education. We all have to be both learner and champions of technology in our classrooms and offices.






Technology is a differentiator



Technology improves performance when the application adjusts for student ability and prior experience and provides feedback to the student and teacher about performance or progress with the application. Such a huge topic, but this is so intuitive. The best example is our course. Each of us entered into this new learning environment with different levels of growth. Each of us tackled the curriculum based on our own needs and skills.



Technology provides power



Technology drives change. It can place the power of learning into the hands of the learner. It can give students control and responsibility. It the old adage of 'one will live up to what one is expected of' is true, then technology is the true enabler and distributor of the power of learning.



Students have more technical ability than most teachers. We need to allow them that advantage and we need to teach them the skills to use it wisely. When we use students to mentor us we model the power of collaboration.



Technology engages millennial learners



A teacher's job is to help students learn what to say, how to say it and when to say it, and how to respond to feedback. Students' work is affirmed by web publishing. The audience creates motivation and students learn the power of their words November (2009). My daughter's cheer team works hard because of the performances, the dancers practice because of competitions, football players and choirs practice for the audience. An authentic audience for student writing and other production gives the students motivation and power. Their digital expertise builds their confidence and engages them in writing.


It is a curiosity of teaching that no two days are alike, but, if we are not careful, all the days can take a deadening sameness. We must remember that we have every opportunity to transform ourselves and our practice, just as we have every opportunity to stagnate, remaining much the same teachers we were when we began. ( Tomlinson) find this on Google books, saved on home The differentiated classrooms


The 21st Century learner is a learner who takes responsibility for learning and managing their work. Teachers need to challenge the low expectations that exist for many students. Tools that were once impossible to use or afford in schools are now free and available through the web. Grade two students can create complex charts and graphs, elementary students can use once extraordinarily expensive tools to digitally change, enhance and create audio and video, and can become broadcasters. The skills to solve real problems (communication, confidence, critical thinking, interpreting data, collaboration, and organization ) are all intrinsic to Web 2.0 tools.

With mobile technology, we are still figuring it all out. I have to wonder how many parents even realize their kids possess the capability of recording and broadcasting to a potential audience of billions? And if they do know, how do they feel about that? We hurried to be online so we didn't fall behind, and now we block so much in fear of too much knowledge. Parents have little idea of what is going on online. As an educator, as a leader, it is imperative that digital citizenship be a part of everything we teach. In our school 3 year plan, I've been able to promote the imperative that not only do we need to educate students about Web 2.0 technologies, but we must offer opportunities to share this with parents and build understanding of the guidelines for safety and the partnership we are embracing as we move forward. We need to teach students and parents, and manage realistic fear.

Despite my mother's greatest fear, I attended a 'free' school in the '60s where I managed my learning. (AISP, North York, Ontario) I built the program that engaged me that fit with the curriculum. I explored literature and philosiphy that made me think and mattered. I learned, and it isonly this learning htat I still remember. There wasn't the tools that we have to manage this easily, but there was the will. That is what we need now.

Technology, in particular, Web 2.0, creates many issues and problems in the classroom. Availability, access and usage should not be one of them in a province and a system of such wealth and potential. My job, Mission Possible, is to make this happen. Melvil Dewey, that librarian who organized and structured what is now the standard for small libraries, said

'The librarian must be the librarian militant before he can become the librarian triumphant'.

The librarian triumphant that I long to be will be able to introduce to teachers the power of a Personal Learning Network. The Librarian Triumphant will engage with teachers as they learn to use Web 2.0 tools. The Librarian Triumphant will light a fire (as John Dewey says) and 'give the pupils something to do, not something to learn' The ideas of our past work for our future. Our tools are different if we want to engage students.

We are well into the 21st Century. If there are schools and districts out there still talking about preparing kids for the 21st Century, they have missed the boat. Their kids are already behind.



The journey begins now. Are our students, our teachers ready?



UNLINKED RESOURCES:



Brooks-Young, Susan. (2010). Teaching With the Tools Kids Really Use. Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin Press.

Courtney, Nancy (2007) Library 2.0 and beyond. Westport, CO :Libraries Unlimited.

Davies, J. & Merchant, G. (2009). Web 2.0 for schools: Learning and social participation. New York, NY: Peter Lang.

Gantos, Jack. (1998) Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key. Harper Collins.

Morgenstern, Susie (2008) I Will Make Miracles. New York : Bloomsberry Childrens Books.

November, Alan. (2010) Empowering Students with Technology. Thousand Oaks, CA : Corwin.

Richardson, W. (2009). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

Schrumm, Lynne; and Levin, Barbara (2009) Leading 21ST Centruy Schools. Thousand Oaks, CA :Corwin.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow, Nancy! First, I almost didn't recognize your blog--I opened the link and didn't know who's blog I was looking at! It looks great!

What a thoughtful, insightful final post! You have clearly summarized your learning and what you are taking away from this class. You demonstrated how you have incorporated much of what we discussed and learned this term into your classroom and I loved the example you gave of your students' wiki and the comment from Angela about plagiarism. Well done!

Brandi Clark said...

Loved it Nancy! Loved hearing about your journey and the work with your students. I hope you continue to post. I learn a lot from you.

Search This Blog